Natural gas is one of the major sources of energy. It is a fossil fuel formed by a mixture of various gases found in oil deposits, dissolved or associated with oil composed primarily of methane that varies depending on the deposit from which it is extracted.
Natural gas has many properties, all of great value. It is a gas which is:
- Odourless and colourless
- Less dense than air
- With high calorific value given its flammability characteristics
- Clean-burning (produces much less CO2 than other fuels such as petroleum derivates and especially coal)
- With a minimum level of corrosivity
- It is abundant
- Highly efficient as an energy source
- For its use it does not require any processing or treatment
Moreover it maintains all of these properties throughout the value chain, from extraction till use in the points of consumption.
Natural gas is used both domestically and at an industrial level.
Use of natural gas in the domestic sphere is increasing day by, adapting to the needs of the household. Currently, this energy source is mainly used for cooking purposes, space and water heating.
Comparing natural gas with other energy sources available, it stands out as a more reliable, more comfortable, more economical and more environmentally friendly energy. Specifically:
- Natural gas is the most economical energy supply: its high performance results in a lower final energy consumption and therefore lower total cost to the user.
- Natural gas allows a continuous supply of energy, avoiding power outages.
- Natural gas allows having a great power supply.
- Natural gas allows the simultaneous use of all domestic gas appliances that can be installed in a home.
- Natural gas storage is not required, thus avoiding having to be aware of specific on-time deliveries such as in the case of other energy sources.
- Consumption of natural gas is paid after consumption, precisely controlled by a meter.
- Natural gas is the fossil fuel with the lowest environmental impact, it has the lowest CO2 emissions per unit of energy used, emits no solid waste nor fumes or bad smells.
At an industry level, the operational advantages of natural gas reduce company costs.
- It represents a very competitive energy cost.
- Allows for continuous and immediate delivery:
- Saves reservation space that can be destined to the activity of the business itself, in turn reducing the risk and financial cost.
- Avoids having to do consumption forecasts.
- Acquisition, prepayment, nor booking control is required
- It is an energy source free from preparation requirements prior to its.
- Provides superior combustion performance compared to other energy sources.
- Enables highly efficient combustion and is much cleaner than those of other fuels:
- Improves the functioning and durability of the equipment.
- Easy to meet the requirements of current environmental regulations.
- It is not necessary to invest in gas processing equipment.
It is for these reasons that new applications for natural gas appear every day, not only for large industries but also for small businesses.